Old 04-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Pam Moore

Zarch wrote in message

All,

Please bear with me, i'm new to this gardening lark, but really make an
effort this supring/summer! :-)

I have dug out a new border and in the middle of the border is a Silver
Birch tree. Its about 50-60ft high, so the roots are quite a problem.
About a mentre around the base of the tree the roots are that dense
that theres no chance of planting too much.

Has anyone got any suggestions of a plant that will thrive in these
conditions? Ideally something that spreads and could go all the way
around the base of the tree. Height is not that important, its more a
ground covering that i'm after.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Mick
Sheffield

Ivy would sound a good bet, if you get the variegated ones. Once
established they should adapt to the conditions and the colours in the
variegated leaves would blend with the silver of the birch, and should
be OK in most soil types.
In some conditions hardy cyclamen look wonderful in drifts under trees
but I'm not sure if you have the right conditions for that.

Pam in Bristol