Old 04-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Phisherman

My roses are over 10 years old. They surprised me and grew fast the
first year. Trimming in the fall is not recommended because that
encourages new growth before winter. I look for dead canes and cut
these off at any time. I use a fish emulsion concentrate purchased
from a garden center--not cheap at $25 a gallon, but it lasts 2 or 3
years.

I planted garlic in front of my roses. Garlic is supposedly the
"companion plant" of roses. It likes the same conditions as roses and
wards off aphids and has a good appearance. I planted the garlic toes
purchased from the grocery. They come up every year, then die to the
ground in heat-intense July.

On Wed, 4 May 2005 15:23:05 -0400, "nanner"
wrote:

Did your trellis get 70% covered over a few seasons or in 1 season?
I'm sure I am not offering these roses "ideal conditions" but I am doing the
best I can and learnign as I go. Do you cut it all off in the fall or leave
it on the trellis year after year?

What is the fish emulsion you feed them, I'll google it I guess - unless it
is your own concoction.

I don't mind putting in the work, I look forward to it really but right now
it seems like there is nothing to do but wait.

I would like to plant someother plants around the bottom but don't know if i
should wait untill the roses grow more and become established or just go
ahead and plant now.

Live and learn I suppose )

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
There are so many factors to consider when determining rate of growth.
Your roses will grow fast in ideal conditions. My Don Juan roses have
16-foot canes and growing quickly. I want to trim them back but they
are now loaded with buds. I've been feeding them fish emulsion and
composted cow manure. I thin out the canes to keep good air
circulation to help prevent black spot fungus. To grow well, roses
need lots of maintenance. Nice trellis. My trellis is now 70%
covered.

On Wed, 4 May 2005 14:19:22 -0400, "nanner"
wrote:

I planted 2 New Dawn climbing rose plants, the cheap kind from Home Depot
(5.99 each, I think there is worse out there)

I built a nice trellis and put it up on the side of my shed and planted
the
roses in front. They are growing, it looks like about 2-3" have come out
in
a few spots.

It's been 2 weeks since I planted them, is this a normal rate of growth to
expect? about 1-1.5" a week or is it more random than that?

The info I read on New Dawn says they will get to be 8-10 feet so I am
wondering if I can expect that in a season...honestly I have no idea what
expect!! This is my first attempt at roses and I am new to gardening in
general!

Any info will be helpful - I just can't seem to find the answers I want
through google.

Wanna see the trellis I built? As you can see in the picture I have shade
there part of the day.
http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/nanner2000/Trellis.jpg

the picture was right after i built it but before i centered it and
attached
it. each plant is centered in front of the 2 ladder-type sections. It's 8'
6' I think I will put something decorative in the top middle section

thanks all!