Old 05-05-2005, 02:06 AM
zxcvbob

junkyardcat wrote:
This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm curious I have some Amaryllis
(actually called St. Joseph's Lily) that my Grandma gave me a couple of
years ago. When I picked off the dead blooms, I noticed there are little
white seeds (?) in the middle along the neck. Are they seeds? Can you plant
seeds and they'll grow into bulbs? It got me to wondering, and I figured
this is the best place to ask

Thanks for any info

Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

Amaryllis make round seed pods about 1.5 to 2" in diameter with 3
chambers and usually lots of black papery seeds, each maybe 3/4" across.
You plant them as soon as the seed pod opens up. I don't remember how
long it takes them to germinate. It takes several years for them to
bloom from seeds.

It sounds like they are very immature seeds that you picked way too early.

Best regards,
Bob