Old 05-05-2005, 02:52 AM
Travis

escape wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2005 07:03:02 -0400, "Dan-o"
opined:

The top 5-6 inches of soil in my raised beds contain a thick
meshwork of fine roots. The roots are so thick that the soil
forms a "crust" and does not allow water to penetrate easily. I
have a few shrubs in the raised bed and I'm thinking they must be
the source. Anyone else have this problem and any ideas on how to
solve this problem? Thanks.

Yes, put a layer of finished compost on top and top that with a few
inches of shredded mulch. Do not put the mulch right up to the
trunk of the shrubs or you can cause problems with rot or too much
moisture near the crown of the plants. Before you mulch, fully
saturate the plants in the ground.

Piling all that on the shrubs roots may smother and kill them.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5