Old 04-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Buzby

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

As another post has made clear, the legislation is only aimed at
those who stash HUGE, commercial-scale piles of horse-manure.It just
brings them into line with the run-off regulations already affecting
other commercial, housed animal stock. It's likely to *benefit*
gardeners because people with large liveries etc who previously left a
mountain of horse manure to rot, will now have to dispose of it..and our
gardens will be the legal place for them to do so.

Janet.

I was under the impression that gardeners wanted well rotted horse manure,
not the fresh stuff. People come from miles because our manure is a couple
of years old and they can put it straight onto their garden. It's free if
they fill their own bags or trailer or £1 to Cancer Research if they want
ready filled bags. What really annoys me is that I'm going to have to pay a
tax to store it on my own land, not that I have to put in concrete and
drainage. I run a small livery yard with 8 horses, one of them mine. The
easiest option for me is going to be to arrange for a contractor to take the
muck away, the cost of which I will have to pass onto my liveries. The
contractor will then probably sell it to gardeners at £40 a load. If the 8
horses were all mine the manure would be regarded as household waste and I
could continue to supply local gardeners. Why is the run off not a problem
if the horses are all mine or if gardeners spread/store it in their gardens?

If anyone wants some well rotted (or fresh) horse manure, e-mail me before
it's taken away!

Sue