Old 05-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Zarch Zarch is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarch
All,

The soil around the base of the trees is quite fine in texture(is that what you're after??), but the whole area around the tree (at least 1m in all directions) is full of roots. So its very very difficult to dig down at all. I've had my mini soil tester kit out and it says i have alkaline soil.

As this area is in the middle of a newly created bed i would like something that is quite vigourous and will fill out quickly, but obviously be able to keep it under control.

Is it having all year round colour asking too much? or at least green through the winter.

I feel that if dont fill this space in the middle of this border it will look pretty vacant.

Thanks for the replies so far

Mick
oh and with having 4 of these big birch trees in the garden, it appears quite shady. Although as this is my first spring and summer in the garden i'm still trying to work out the sun/shade proportions. :-)