Old 05-05-2005, 09:48 AM
JB

On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:16:18 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , JB
writes
Quick question for any horsey types out there. How much manure does a
horse create? i.e. how many horses would you need to acquire a muck
heap weighing 1250 tonnes?

JB

The average horse produces nine tonnes of manure a year according to
Horse and Hound who reported the story in April at

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/63473.html

they said
"A muck heap of less than five tonnes will not incur a charge, but one
of between five and 50 tonnes will cost £252 for the first year and £174
thereafter, while 50-400 tonnes will cost £482 for the first year and
£402 each year after that"

Now I'm confused! (not that I wasn't before). In that article they
refer to the costs and then state "There may be exemptions on a
case-by-case basis, but individuals will have to speak to their local
Environment Agency" and defra's own web site explicitly mentions
storage of less than 1250 tonnes, composting use of manure for
agricultural benefit as allowing exemption. So where does the charge
for a 5 tonne muck heap arise?

JB