Old 05-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Thanks Gary. We went for the walk with you. Any visual pics to go with
the verbal ones?

Jim and Phyllis

Gary Woods wrote:
Luka and I ambled down to the pond this morning, and what a difference!

The sky is electric blue, bright sun, and just a whiff of frost still on
the grass in the shade. Even the redwing blackbird's scolding sounds
brighter. They're nesting in the usual places, a big patch of cattails at
each end of the pond. I haven't seen the nest, but I'll look more
carefully in a few days. Even though the birds try to distract intruders,
you can still narrow the search by the level of hysteria as you walk slowly
along the shore.
The yellow bog iris I bought some years ago have spread nicely in the
shallows, which bodes well for some color later. More of the wild purple
ones spring up every year; not a bad thing at all.
Only saw one fish, a teenaged bass that got up early; the water is too cold
for much activity, but soon now I'll see cleared circles in the shallows as
the spawning season gets underway. Walter the Koi has been hiding lately,
probably because I was looking for him. I did see him a couple of weeks
ago when I wasn't trying.
Good day to spend outside.

Peace,