Old 05-05-2005, 11:15 PM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

"escape" wrote in message
On 4 May 2005 14:54:01 -0700, opined:

I always see hummingbirds arrive about the same time as apple blossoms.
At least that is how they have behaved for the past 25 years.

Hummingbirds and most other migratory species on the planet all operate on
science called phenology. It's basically when cause and effect occur, not
necessarily a particular date, but a series of events, causes and
conditions.

An example would be (actually this is a very bad example and more myth,
but what
the hell...) a mesquite tree will not put out new growth till all danger
of
frost is gone. Not true, but sort of an example.

Different things happen when light gets longer or shorter, temps higher or
lower, and in the case of this year after having one of the worst
tsunami's in
history, where the earth wobbled, many places where springs are usually
very
warm, have been rather cold. I have no idea, scientifically, if this is
the
cause, but it's been cold as shit here in Texas.

I'm new to this area but I thought the date that everyone started putting
out feeders was toward the end of May. In fact, I had thought about putting
out my feeder when it got warm a few weeks ago but I thought I was way too
early.

It's a good thing those little guys know to come and look in the window
until they get your attention. They may not talk but they speak very
clearly.

Giselle