Old 05-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Loki

il 2 May 2005 08:59:20 -0700, "nina" wrote:

Both bell peppers and tomatoes are perennial. They can last AGES in the
right climate.

[snip]
While involved in saving the pepper plants, I remembered that in the
mid-altitude mountains of Bolivia where Capsicum-type peppers are
native, they grow to shrubby bushes and small trees as perennials. So
while those of us in the United States who love and grow peppers treat
them as annuals, in their native environment, they live as perennials
for 3-10 years, or more.

Now, more than 25 years later, I have significantly expanded the
horizon of my perennial pepper project.

I have a variegated pepper plant that has survived on my back porch
for several years now, despite the frost and cold southerlies that
come in winter. Sometimes a bare twigged pot plant will rejuvenate if
not too badly damaged although I'm not convinced it has an advantage
over a new seedling as far as speed of growth goes. But that may be
more due to my lassez faire approach and zero mollycoddling. :-)
--
Cheers,