Old 05-05-2005, 09:43 PM
kathy

I looked on google images but didn't see any pictures
that I liked.

It looks like green hair, waving in the water.
If you pick it up it has some substance to it
and it takes some heft to pull it apart or pull
it off where it is attached. You can pull it apart
and see the fibers.

This is opposed to gloppy algae that falls apart
in your hand or suspended single cell alage
that makes the water looks like pea soup.
Or fuzzy algae that is short and grows on rocks,
plant baskets or the liner.

There are some commercial substances to deal
with but I haven't used any. Some folks have
sprinkled it with koi clay or plain kitty litter and
liked the results.

I just remove it by hand. Some twirl it up in a
brush or a stick or branch.
If fish are not fed in the spring sometimes they
will munch it up and they like to search about
in it for hidden aquatic insects, infant fish and
tadpoles and zoo plankton.

All algae in the pond feeds off of
fish waste, sunlight, too much freshwater, dust
and blown in dirt, spent and decomposing plants.
Our ponds are usually overloaded with these
because they are small and we enjoy have lots
of fishy friends and over feed them.

And all kinds of algae is very efficent at getting
going especially in the spring or when a pond is
new.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromtheblog.com