Old 05-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Lt. Kizhe Catson

Otto Pylot wrote:
In article . net,
BryanB wrote:

String Algae:
What is it? What does it look like? Where can I find pictures? How do
I best deal with it?

--Bryan

String algae grows in long string-like configurations or ropes as
opposed to other types of algea that grow in clumps or just looks like
a mat on rocks and whatever else you have in your pond. Technically,
string (or hair) aglae is Cladphora and blanket weed (another
string-like algae) is Oedogonium.

There are lots of ways ( and recipes) to get rid of string algae. What
works best for me is a product called Algaefix by PondCare. I use that,
as directed if the string algae becomes too unmanageable. As a
preventative, once I've started treatment, I use a couple of small
bales of barley at the top of my waterfall to help keep it under
control. Your pond should have good aeration if you choose to use it.
Algaefix is safe for all of my water plants as well as my fish
(Shubunkin goldfish and mosquito fish). With the exception of normal
algae blooms throught out the year, my pond stays crystal clear and
healthy.

Is Algaefix one of those dye products, or does it work by some other
mechanism?

To answer the original question: I acheive an acceptable level of scum
control with a combination of mechanical removal and potash supplementation.

-- Kizhe