Old 06-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Bill Stock

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
The bulkheads that I stock and use have standard pipe thread and I use
threaded nipples to connect to them - no chance for a leak as it's threads
fit tightly - no glue or silicone
Gale :~)
A few bulkhead questions.

If I have a 1" bulkhead, will standard 1" PVC pipe slip fit the bulkhead?

gather it will, as the elbow gizmo that came with the bulkhead fits
inside
my PVC elbows. Although the bulkhead elbow fits the bulhead rather

loosely.

Do I use standard PVC glue to join them or will Silicone do?

The fittings I have are slip fittings or socket fittings as Roy calls them.
I intend to install two in my flowerpot Skippy filter. One at the bottom to
attach to my PVC pipe for making the vortex and one at the top for my return
to the waterfall. They both come with hose barbs (elbow) for attaching
flexible pipe. I have a third fitting that is threaded, which I'm
considering installing at the bottom as a drain plug for back washing.

Although I see a serious potential for overflow with this design. Since my
inflow and out flow are the same size. I'll have to come up with a better
design for my return flow.