Old 06-05-2005, 03:13 PM
spakker

"Zarch" wrote in message

All,

Please bear with me, i'm new to this gardening lark, but really make an
effort this supring/summer! :-)

I have dug out a new border and in the middle of the border is a Silver
Birch tree. Its about 50-60ft high, so the roots are quite a problem.
About a mentre around the base of the tree the roots are that dense
that theres no chance of planting too much.

Has anyone got any suggestions of a plant that will thrive in these
conditions? Ideally something that spreads and could go all the way
around the base of the tree. Height is not that important, its more a
ground covering that i'm after.

Get rid of at least three of your silver birches! The roots travel just
below the surface, I believe.There are more interesting/nicer trees/shrubs.