Old 06-05-2005, 03:22 PM
ClarissaGG

Default Stony ground / top soil - newbie question

I wonder if someone can advise me please?

I've just had my large, derelict front garden levelled and rotivated,
leaving me, I'd hoped with a great expanse of beautiful soil to start
cultivating.

Trouble is, now that the matted grass and weeds have been removed, I see
that the soil is incredibly stony. Could someone advise what the best thing
to do here is please?

The plan is to have a pond, four vegetable beds, a couple of flower beds,
and the rest lawn.

Do I try to get rid of the stones? This seems like it would be a
never-ending task. The ground is quite compacted and I suspect there's more
stoniness beneath. Or would it be an idea to buy in a load of top soil? As I
said, it's quite a big area - probably 20 metres by 25 metres - so it would
need a lot of soil. But would it solve the problem anyway?

Would it be feasible to think in terms of building raised beds for the veg
and just grass-seeding the rest? Though I presume it would be very hard to
mow if it was this stony?

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm really unsure what the best option
is.

Cheers

Clarissa