Old 06-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Sacha

On 6/5/05 3:22 pm, in article ,
"ClarissaGG" wrote:

I wonder if someone can advise me please?

I've just had my large, derelict front garden levelled and rotivated,
leaving me, I'd hoped with a great expanse of beautiful soil to start
cultivating.

Trouble is, now that the matted grass and weeds have been removed, I see
that the soil is incredibly stony. Could someone advise what the best thing
to do here is please?

The plan is to have a pond, four vegetable beds, a couple of flower beds,
and the rest lawn.

Do I try to get rid of the stones? This seems like it would be a
never-ending task. The ground is quite compacted and I suspect there's more
stoniness beneath. Or would it be an idea to buy in a load of top soil? As I
said, it's quite a big area - probably 20 metres by 25 metres - so it would
need a lot of soil. But would it solve the problem anyway?

Would it be feasible to think in terms of building raised beds for the veg
and just grass-seeding the rest? Though I presume it would be very hard to
mow if it was this stony?

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm really unsure what the best option
is.

Depending on how large the area is, is it feasible to have the pond and beds
and then pave the rest?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk