Old 06-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Robert Chambers

Well the Briggs and Stratton aren't the same as they used to be either.
I got 12 years out of mine and I took good care of it. Towards the
end it just didn't have any power. I bought a Honda and haven't
regretted the decision. they are nice mowers, quiet, powerful and use
less gas in a month than my old B&S used in one mowing. The blade
system on the Honda's does a much better job of cutting the grass also.

Frank Logullo wrote:

"Spud Demon" wrote in message

"Frank Logullo" writes in article

dated Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:24:31
GMT:

Silverstone Lawnboy engine cycles up and down. Still cutting OK but it

is

annoying and probably headed for the shop. Googling suggested adjusting

nut

on carburetor but I can't find one. It's been in the shop before (about

month before end of last season). Mower is 5 years old and used ~2

hr/week

in cutting season. I do all the suggested maintenance but they tell you
nothing about inner workings. When tuned, the damned thing uses gas like
crazy but when it settles down, gas usage goes way down which makes me

think

there is some simple bottleneck/adjustment to carburetor. Any

suggestions

would be welcome.

Many carb problems can be solved by adding a bottle of carb cleaner to the
gas. The more concentrated, the better, as long as there's still enough

gas

in the mix to run.

This is especially applicable to problems that occur at the beginning of a
mowing season, after the engine was sitting all winter.

I'm trying that. Not sure if much help yet. Carb cleaner in fuel line or
directly in throat sounds good but goes back to cycling when it burns off.
Also wondering about 2 cycle oil I'm using (Pennsoil). Almost through a
gallon I got. A hell of a lot cheaper than Lawnboys but I will go back to
Lawnboys. Going to nurse mowers as far as I can and when they die, give to
Goodwill and buy a Honda. Don't mind paying repairs but had to make 3
roundtrips to shop last year with Lawnboys and it was a pain. Guess old
Briggs and Stratton el cheapo that lasted 25 years without going in shop
spoiled me.
Frank
Frank