Old 06-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Stephen Henning

BryanB wrote:

String Algae:
What is it? What does it look like? Where can I find pictures? How do
I best deal with it?

String algae is Oedogonium. For pictures look at:
http://www.lifesciences.napier.ac.uk...eb/oedogon.htm

String algae starts out as chains of single cell algae that look like
green hairs of parts of a spider web. For me they start out from a
plant or edge of the pone. When they reach the surface they form a mat
of green goop that is called blanket algae. In the early spring crystal
clear pond started getting a good growth of string algae.

The cure for string algae is prevention. This means lowering nutrient
level and providing some shade. The steps of prevention include:

1) Do not add nutrients (fertilizer, fish poop, water with nitrates,
etc.) Do not let fish overload the ponds natural balance.

2) Remove nutrients by adding plants. Both marginal plants and submerged
oxygenators will help. Hardy marginal plants, water iris, marsh
marigold will be among the first to use any excess nutrients in the
water.

3) Shade the pond. Sunlight is necessary for string algae to grow. I
use Azolla caroliniana (a very small floating fern called "fairy moss").
It is invasive, so don't get it unless you really want it. It is easy
to dip out.

4) Float a bale of barley straw. It will prevent string algae when the
water warms up.

5) Use trap door snails to digest the dead algae and other dead material
in the pond. Bacteria does this also but doesn't over-winter as well.

In the early spring I get impatient and add one dose of AlgaeFix (an
algaecide) and add one dose of granular Microbe-Lift Spring/Summer (a
blend of beneficial bacteria that breaks down dead organic matter
naturally)

In early April my pond was building up string algae. I put the marginal
plants I had submerged on the bottom back on the benches. I added
AlgaeFix and Microbe-Lift Spring/Summer. Now in early May, it is
crystal clear. No filters, no UV, no scooping.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6