Old 07-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

I wouldn't call the Mediterranean 'tropical', Nick.

Nor would I.

Tropical tends to imply
a climate with two very distinct seasons - one wet, one dry. The Med
still has four seasons (although the winters are somewhat short).

Not at all. Some places have no seasons - e.g. hot and wet or hot and
dry all year - and others may have more than one rainy season. Try
Port Harcourt for the former, and Nairobi for the latter.

Of course, if basil /does/ grow in the tropics, I retract the above
statement and apologise. OTOH, there are many plants grown here
that /did/ originate in true tropical climates (e.g. tree ferns,
bamboo, Heliconia and Canna to name a few).

It does, and that is where it originated :-) You need not apologise!
It probably does grow as a perennial around the Mediterranean, in the
more frost-free areas, if kept well-watered.

I apologise if anyone feels I'm being pedantic.

If I were to object to THAT, you would be fully justified in accusing
me of hypocrisy :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Shows what I know doesn't it? I'll get me coat...