Old 07-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Dwayne wrote:
I recently transplanted all my roses (about 20) into an area where
they would get more sun. One didn't survive. I dug out the stump
and found the remains of a large Boer that had eaten its way into
the roots. I have no idea what kind it was, or if it was the reason
the rose didn't make it, but it is a possibility. Could that have
been your problem?

It is now over a century since the Boer war petered out, so you
claim some kind of a record for discovering a combatant that didn't
accept the peace conditions. Are you sure that is what you meant?

Yes, I am genuinely baffled.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

And if he meant 'boar' as in 'wild boar' well the last one of those was
killed back in the 18th century, though they are being steadily reintroduced
(that is wild boar as opposed to farmed boar) - there are pockets in Dorset,
Kent, Sussex, Herefordshire and the Forest of Dean. They're having the most
success in the west country, which is odd when you consider that they
originally wandered over from the continent when the UK was still joined to
France.