Old 07-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Tom

Default Plant Tubs, -constructional info

I'm looking for plans for constructing a "Versaille Caisse", I've googled
but have failed to find any instructions for constructing one. There are
many refs to "so-called VCs" however they are only square wood planters, and
do not appear to have the essential dismantling capabilities.
They have been used for large trees or shrubs and are unique in that they
can be dismantled in order to regenerate/recharge the compost.
I understand that they were designed so that one side of the wooden square
tubs could be removed, a vertical slice approx 2 inches was cut off the
rootball, the wood side was replaced and fresh compost was added to the 2
inch gap.
This was done every year to a different side of the Caisse.
The only description I have is taken from a gardening book.
I quote" In France they are usually made of oak and painted. They are
constructed of four panels secured to the four corner posts by eight flat
iron corner bands, which drop into slots formed by upturned pieces of metal,
of the same section, fitted into the posts. When the sides of the tub have
to be removed, the upper bar is first tapped upwards with a hammer out of
it's slots and then the lower bar removed in the same way. This makes one
side of the tub free so that it can be tapped away, exposing one side of the
root ball."

Does anyone have any plans or constructional details for these planters?

Regards
Tom