Old 07-05-2005, 10:26 PM
shazzbat

"Roger Hembury" wrote in message
In a small village, just outside Warminster in Wiltshire.

Has been a bit cold in the evenings of late but so far no frost, but I am
keeping everything crossed just in case.

Update on the mole - I stood on the mole hills and flattened them down and
so far there aren't any more molehills. With a bit of luck he has gone.

He hasn't. You don't get that lucky.

I might have a slightly bigger problem now though - rabbits. We have had
some in the front garden a couple of times and I got the dogs to chase

them
away so hopefully they will get the message and not come back.

They will.

Anybody else have a problem with the local wildlife?

Does anybody not have a problem with wildlife?

Our allotment has moles, rabbits, mice, pigeons inhabiting the tree belt
separating the allotments from the golf course.

In our first year we had a row that went turnip, molehill, turnip, molehill,
turnip molehill, turnip, molehill with a turnip on top.

Last year the cucumber plant in the greenhouse border was pushed up out of
the soil by moley. I replaced it, and this happened several times, the plant
gave up the ghost. This year I've made a wire mesh cylinder to plant it in.

The rabbits are not too much of a problem although I think it's them who are
nibbling the tops off the onions. The cats which live adjoining the
allotment help in keeping them down the other end of the site, so I don't
mind the cats too much, not like at home. They also kill some of the mice.
We know this because they leave the corpses outside the shed for the wife to
find. I think they enjoy the screaming.

The wood pigeons totally decimate the brassicas if they are not netted. "if
you don't net 'em, you don't get 'em"

And of course the usual attention from slugs snails caterpillars etc.

Wouldn't be gardening without them really would it?

Steve
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/steveandmaggiesplot