Old 08-05-2005, 07:01 AM
sherwindu

Hi again David,
Just noticed something else in your posting. I also live in the Chicago area, and my
Apricot tree has already produced small marble size fruit, whereas my peach trees are still in the
blossom stage. Also, if your peach tree was pollinated by one of your
neighbor's peach trees, those sprouts won't be the same as your original tree.

Sherwin D.

David Efflandt wrote:

I purchased a home in the Chicago suburbs and have a tree that appears to
be a peach, but am trying to identify what kind. Currently in early May
it has slender red leaves and little red flowers with pink hairy things.
The reddish yellow fruit has been small enough the past 2 summers that I
almost thought it was an apricot, but that apparently has a different leaf
shape and I think requires a warmer climate. I have pruned it, but maybe
need to thin out the forming fruit for remaining fruit to get larger.

It certainly seems to grow well in this area, there were many sprouts this
year from dropped fruit pits. Since the existing tree is too close to a
fence, I transplanted the best 2 year old sprout to a better location with
more space around it. Time will tell if I did that right.

Does anyone know of a good web site to help identify type of peach?