Old 08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
evolutionman 2004

"bb2004" wrote in message
Ready to take the plunge and buy my first lawn tractor, adn I think we

have
decided on the White Outdoor brand.

My question though, is what exactly is the practical difference between

two
models where the only discernable benefit is an added 1.0 HP?

For instance, I can get the 42" cut, 17.5 HP White Outdoor for $999. The
42", 18.5 HP model retails for $1,199. This seems to apply to most other
models I have looked into as well. (Poulan, Craftsman, etc.)

With all other things being equal, which they appear to be from the specs

have seen, is the 1.0 HP bump really worth an extra $200?

FYI: My lot is a pretty regularly shaped 1.1 acre lot with a dozen or so
trees to be manueverd around...

OK, Mike, here's a possible answer to your dilemma. I have a 1+ acre

yard. I also have a 18.5 hp engine. I've tried the smaller hp engines but
they were slower in climbing, towing and mowing (had to keep the
choke/throttle wide open). The 18.l5 and above units will run fine at lower
choke settings with enough power to the rear wheels to climb the slopes, tow
the equipment, etc..

A 1-hp difference is NOT that much more for your yard. The extra hp is
mostly for extra equipment (electric PTO vs. manual), pulling/towing, speed,
etc. If you're just cutting grass, the smaller hp mower is fine. But, if
you're planning on towing a trailer or other equipment (with 1+ acre, you
definitely will want to do that!), get the 18.5 hp machine. You have more
options to choose from too.