Old 08-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Sat, 07 May 2005 16:51:11 GMT, Jack wrote:
I have a pie slice shaped yard that is 1/2 acre. The house is almost in the
middle of the slice. The challenge I am having is how to plant on the side
of the yards to create a screen without making the front yard look too
closed in.

Meandering borders (not straight) of mixed species with the occasional
opening angled as if it were a path heading deeper into the garden tend
to make a property look larger while providing screening. If you can
leave some openings in the border allowing a sight line to someone else's
property while screening out their buildings, etc., you can visually
enlarge the property, too.

Choose your sight lines and select your species carefully. If you need
screening immediately, plant a mix of faster and slower growing things, and
take out the faster growing species as the other specimens mature. Big
perennials can help here, too. Just don't grow things in straight lines.

Kay