Old 08-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Robert Chambers

Definitely Squirrels! I've seen them. I tried the natural way of
dissuading them (mixture of cayenne pepper and butter to hold it in
place right under the blooms) I think they liked that even better.

After that I used automotive grease under there (just don't compost the
stalks afterwards) haven't had a problem with them since.

"Fragile Warrior" Volfie wrote:
What would snip off he heads of tulips as they are about to bloom? My
mother thinks it is squirrels but I thought I once heard of some sort of
worm/bug/catipillar that did that -- anyone know the correct answer? The
buds are never eaten. They're just lying next to the flower, snipped so
close to the top that they can't even be put in water to bloom.

Giselle (I just can't picture squirrels out there with teeny little scissors
massacring tulips for no particular reason...)