Old 08-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Lar

In article ,
says...

Question about whitefly on hibiscus.

Some ? 8-10 years ? (lost track) I bought some pretty expensive
hibiscus from the Huntington at their annual plant sale.
The huge blooms are gorgeous, but the plants are infested with
whitefly and the leaves are disgusting.

Have had nothing but *+^%(_#(*&^% with these plants.
Nothing works - not daily spraying, not mulching
with worm castings, not those little sticky cards --
not even even a recent -- very reluctant -- dose of Malathion.

You will have better luck using an insecticide that would be systemic,
it will be taken up into the plant tissue.

The Huntington told me their hibiscus are free of white fly because
about four years ago they acquired "parasitic wasps" from the "UC
Riverside Program". (Putting their actual words in quotes.)

Before approaching UC Riverside, may I ask the group:

Can a mere civilian gardener get/manage those wasps?

Would they wander around and sting me?

The wasps are tiny things, you would never be bothered by them. You
should be able to find them at "natural gardening " type stores.
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/wh...-parasite.html

--

Persephone

--