Old 08-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Elaine T

kc wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is permanganate and what is its purpose?
Kirsten
(I too stuck a canna in the pond last year, but too quickly I think because
the leaves started rotting...)

Potassium permanganate is an oxidizing agent like bleach but milder and
purple in color. Soaking plants for 10 minutes in a medium pink (purple
is too strong) solution of permanganate kills most bacteria and fish
parasites and some snail eggs and algae. Unlike bleach, permanganate
doesn't harm plants and it's easy to tell when it's rinsed off.

I think I had an episode of beginner's luck with my canna. :-)

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__