Old 08-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Derek Broughton

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Dsybok" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have kept koi of various sizes over the past two years, in mainly small
ponds. Upgraded to about an 800 gallon pond last summer. I have kept the
same 5 koi and one comet since then until today. One is missing.

It was a good sized fish, my largest at 12, maybe 16 inches. Fat. Too
big for the average house cat or animal to carry off. Its just gone
without a trace. No body anywhere in the pond vicinity. Have any other
Long Beach

area
ponders had problems with large birds, herons etc carrying off their
fish?

Should I net this pond?

## Netting is the ONLY way to keep the predators out and your fish safe in
my opinion. Besides large birds, there are also large snakes and turtles
that will enter a pond and do away with your fish.

All other options exhausted, a net might be necessary. But it should makes
for an ugly pond. I've lost fish for weeks at a time though. They've
either slipped through interdimensional gateways, or found an unsuspected
hiding place in the pond. Don't be too certain it's gone.
--
derek