Old 08-05-2005, 06:16 PM
BAC

"John Edgar" wrote in message
ups.com...
Your dictionary is not correct. The reason I know this is because my ex

husband was a psychopath and had to have regular visits from the CPN.
He
explained that being psychopathic was nothing to do with being violent
or
displaying violent tendencies.It is a lack of an abillity to empathis
with
another's point of view or to feel any guilt or regret if they have
caused
pain or sufferring to another.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary, 1999 edition, is incorrect? I think not.

But did you quote its entry for 'psychopath' both fully and correctly?

My OED has the following,

"psychopath n.
1a person suffering from chronic mental disorder esp. with abnormal or
violent social behaviour.
2a mentally or emotionally unstable person."

IIRC you omitted the 'esp.' (presumably 'especially')from 1a and didn't
mention 2a at all.