Old 09-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Greg Cooper

Hi Jan:
I know from past conversation that you really dont like ponds with rocks
in. But while I don't claim to be any kind of expert, nor do I object
to others making different pond design choices I do wish to offer my
data point to the discussion (besides it beats reading the toll posts)

I am 5 years into my pond experience with a pond lined bottom and sides
with with river rock. Our back yard does not get a lot of sun and the
water has always stayed clear. After 5 years I have never had to drain
& power wash the pond. Each rear I climb in and dig the rocks away to
check in several spots to see if any Mum is accumulating - Nil.
I am lucky I suspect to not get a lot of deciduous leaves in the pond.
The evergreen leaves get trapped by the skimmer before they can sink.

Anyway my pets seem to like their environment and it has been low
maintenance for me. Most of the problems I have had with the pond is
keeping the raccoon away.

Cheers.

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Regardless that your son-in-law doesn't work for Aquascape now, this design
is #1 because of great marketing and people seeing the beauty and not
realizing the high maintenance needed. My club informs people that they
MUST do the yearly recommended maintenance as they'll soon have a cesspool
with this design. If draining and power washing their pond yearly isn't
appealing, come on over to the AKCA way of doing it. They've been doing and
giving advice far, far longer than the Aquascape design has been in play.