Old 09-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Greg Cooper

Birgitte wrote:

You luky guy, we only have around 55 deg. F
longing for summer
will the racoon take your fish ?

He has - mostly we have had gold fish and small Koi but about 2 year
ago we splurged and spend about $150 on a larger koi (large for us
anyway) He seemed to us to be a very gentle soul and quite friendly.
One morning I went out to find him on his side drifted up to the skimmer
inlet. The Raccoon had gotten a good bite on his back about 1/3 of the
way down but the fish must have wrenched himself free. He was still
alive at that point but succumbed within 24 hours in spite of supportive
care with salt and raised temperature. We have lost some other fish but
this one hurt the most because he was so trusting and unaware of dangers
that he never stood a chance. This lost was in spite of having a water
scarecrow and an electric fido fence around the pond. I now have a
water scarecrow and a net across the entire pond. It is a fine black
mesh so is not too unsightly but it makes access to the pond less easy.

I dont really blame the raccoon he has to eat and he was here before we
arrived.