Old 09-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Normally I put brassicas in ground firmed by other crops but having at
last finished all the raised beds this year how best do \ firm the
ground to avoid blown Brussel sprouts etc? If the idea is to never walk
on the soil what do other more experienced growers do to firm up the
soil?

There's a difference between compacting soil by repeated walking on it,
and necessary firming for plants like brassicas - and onions. In order
to keep the firmed area as localised as practicable, I put a board or
plank onto the row to be planted, then walk along it, usually a bit
wobbly with my arms stretched out, but it does the job very well.

Joan calls it 'walking the plank', along with other comments! :-)
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.