Old 09-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Zarch Zarch is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider
Zarch wrote in message

Zarch Wrote:
All,

The soil around the base of the trees is quite fine in texture(is that
what you're after??), but the whole area around the tree (at least 1m
in all directions) is full of roots. So its very very difficult to dig
down at all. I've had my mini soil tester kit out and it says i have
alkaline soil.

As this area is in the middle of a newly created bed i would like
something that is quite vigourous and will fill out quickly, but
obviously be able to keep it under control.

Is it having all year round colour asking too much? or at least green
through the winter.

I feel that if dont fill this space in the middle of this border it
will look pretty vacant.

Thanks for the replies so far

Mick

oh and with having 4 of these big birch trees in the garden, it appears
quite shady. Although as this is my first spring and summer in the
garden i'm still trying to work out the sun/shade proportions. :-)

--
Zarch

Hi Mick,

Thanks for coming back with the info. Sounds as if it's going to be rather
dry as well as shady. However, as you surmise, the real difficulty will be
planting in that rooty ground. You will probably have to start with small
plants and make holes for them as best you can. My suggestions would be:

Epimedium, evergreen forms - attractive leaves, small but pretty
early-Spring flowers.
Helleborus species and cultivars (H. hybridus are great) - strong,
structural evergreen leaves, stunning Spring flowers in white/pinks/plummy
purples.
Brunnera macrophylla (esp. 'Jack Frost', but all are good) - with froth of
mid-blue flowers in Spring.
Heucheras - many beautiful forms; evergreen green-marbled, purple-marbled
and bronze-marbled leaves - spires of white/pink/red flowers.
Tiarella cordifolia or wherryi - mainly green-leaved, but similar to Heucher
a in habit. Beautiful white-flushed-pink flower spikes.
Ajuga reptans - evergreen green or purple or multicoloured leaves with
usually blue (but occasionally pink) Spring flowers.
Vinca, any, but these can become invasive. Blue, purple, mauve or white
flowers.

Fuchsia magellanica or riccartonii. These hardy Fuchsias are semi-evergreen
(or deciduous in a hard winter). They have tiny, pendant white/pink/red
flowers throughout summer. They will give you some extra height and
much-need summer colour.
Digitalis purpurea would be stunning as a midsummer accent plant, to fill
the gap between Spring and Summer.

Hope this helps.
Spider
Spider,

Thanks for that, some great info, really appreciated.

I'll take it away and digest.

Spakker: These trees have been there for god knows how many years and are around 50/60 foot high, so theres no way of getting rid of them.

I'm contemplating getting some sort of tree expert round though to give them the once over and maybe "a trim". What sort of price do you pay for this service?

Thanks again for your time Spider.

Mick