Old 09-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
some species are like salad to them ...last season I was watching from
this puter desk at 4 in afternoon on a sunny day watching two full size
deer munching my tulips down to the ground ...mid summer they were
eating sunflower plants that were four feet high ..they love to dig
thru snow to munch on neighbors myrtle, but only eat the leaves and the
plants come back in full. Iris only when fresh sprouts are 5 inches
high. They wont touch daffodils

depending on how harsh the winter ..they will eat rhodadendron ..flower
buds and leaves

netting is a pain to put up and take down/store

my solution ...single strand of electric fence wire wrapped around 24
inch fiberglass tent pole section ( spool of surplus fine guage bare
wire... rewind around coffee can for reuse) ...I move it from
decorative foundation plants in winter to veg garden in summer

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

How high do you place your wire for deer? I'm headed to a farm supply store
this week, and without advice, I'll probably do my usual overkill. In this
case, that would mean wire every 12" beginning at ground level, up to about
10 feet, and a separate set of supports for razor wire and grenades. But I
suspect I don't need to get quite that involved.