Old 09-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian wrote:
with a specimen/variety that is exceptionally splendid~
with heads similar to H. macrophylla. I have never seen this

elsewhere or
heard/read of it at all. Have never understood why!
Best Wishes Brian.

I thought that all climbing hydrangeas (hydrangea petiolaris) had
flowers like those of H. macrophylla? What am i missing?
And when you say they are not worth the time i disagree, i think they
are lovely to look at as well as having a fantastic scent.

There are lots of different climbing hydrangeas, some are deciduous some
evergreen, all have white (or nearly white) scented flowers and are self
clinging, all are fairly large plants and take several years to establish a
root system before growing. This can be speeded up by heavy watering when
newly planted.
Beware of planting near drains!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.