Old 09-05-2005, 11:54 AM
J Jackson

Dwayne wrote:
: I would wait until the trees are dormant. Make all cuts at an angle so
: water will run off easily rather than set on the wound.

I wouldn't. If there are a lot of these then air circulation is going to
be bad and you going to get problems.

As someone else said, thin out by taking unwanted stems right back to the
branch leaving not stub.

It is early in the season, so I do only what is essential to get decent
air circulation. Revisit and prune some more in a month.

Jim

: Dwayne

: "Chris Bacon" wrote in message
: ...
: An apple in the garden has a mass of flowers. It's also got a lot of
: shoots pointing straight up, about 18" long. These have flowers on.
: Can I trim them now, or should I wait?