Old 09-05-2005, 05:26 PM
samuelchamb

arr i am not the only person to think of the vac idear this works very
well . have tryed soap in the past and has damaged plants .

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
David said:

I went out to the garden this morning to cut some end of season kale to
bring to some co-workers and discovered they had a sizable infestation
of whitefly. I had checked these same plants on Sunday and they were
fine. So, I think I've caught this at the beginning. I've pulled all the
kale and started spraying everything close by with Safer. What else can
I be doing?

Anyone have any good ORGANIC ways of dealing with whitefly?

Use a vacuum to suck up the adults (best in cool of morning)
.
Spray underside of leaves with soap solution *mixed with seaweed (kelp)*.

Whitefly "dislikes plant with high magnesium content." (Did they show
any signs of yellowing between the veins?) Dolomitic limestone or use
of some other source of magnesium might be indicated.

Whitefly might also indicate plants stressed for phosphorous.

(Quote and other advice from _The Organic Method Primer_)