Old 08-05-2005, 05:57 PM
K Barrett

Yeah, I personally find these Miltoniposis sorts hard to grow only because
I'm soooooooooo lazy about watering and repotting. These don't like old
potting medium and they like to be kept evenly moist, so repoting annually
as the new roots begin to show is a must and a steady but light hand in
watering is also needed.

Otherwise, your conditions sound ideal and since you just repotted I'd say
watch your watering.

Heck, if you want to try something really nuts try giving it nicer water.
Just as an experiment. Since so many women drink bottled water (as a diet
aid, for hydration, or whatever) give it the first sip. Open the bottle,
give a glug to the Milt, and finish the rest yourself. You're drinking the
nice water anyway, so share a bit. As long as this doesn't keep the moss
too soggy.

K Barrett

"Deb Anderson" wrote in message
news:1115569891.6ecba760ff9f5b74102480aea39cb663@t eranews...
In the past several years I have rekindled my passion for orchids which
started in the 80's & then stopped due to building a new home, teenagers,
career changes, etc. Now I have cats, phals, & paphs with one miltonia
which is giving me a fit! And I am very pleased to have discovered this
newsgroup.
It is Milt. Virginia Brashear which I purchased several years ago; it has
re-bloomed once, about 3 years ago...& nothing since then. It is in an
unobstructed southern window about 18-24 inches from the glass. The
foliage is medium to light green & I recently re-potted in sphag.moss; it
had been in an orchid bark mix which I thought dried out too quickly. I
don't water until the moss is almost completely dry, which can be 2 weeks
in the winter. I fertilize from spring to fall with orchid food. I love
the pansy like blooms & would love to see it flower again.
What do I need to change in my culture in order to encourage blooming?
Frustrated in northern Illinois...
Regards,
Debbie