Old 09-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Martin Brown

Chris Bacon wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Rapeseed oil - gorgeous colour, isn't it? I think it's known as
canola oil in USA. You should see it planted next to a field of
linseed - it almost hurts your eyes!

Oilseed rape. Smells lovely, but not quite so nice as field beans.
When it's flowering, that is. When it's ripening it's quite another
matter.

The smell is obviously in the nose of the beholder. I reckon oilseed
rape smells horrible - and it is hell to walk through when a path
crosses a field of the stuff. I particularly don't like the little
pollen beetles it attracts that then invade our gardens when it finishes
flowering.

The flowers are a pretty luminous shade of lemon yellow and tend to grow
everywhere that seed is moved past including motorway verges. A field
full in full sun hurts the eyes. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown