Old 09-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Neil Cairns

On Wed, 4 May 2005 17:24:29 +0100, "Spider" wrote:

Zarch wrote in message

All,

Please bear with me, i'm new to this gardening lark, but really make an
effort this supring/summer! :-)

I have dug out a new border and in the middle of the border is a Silver
Birch tree. Its about 50-60ft high, so the roots are quite a problem.
About a mentre around the base of the tree the roots are that dense
that theres no chance of planting too much.

Has anyone got any suggestions of a plant that will thrive in these
conditions? Ideally something that spreads and could go all the way
around the base of the tree. Height is not that important, its more a
ground covering that i'm after.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Mick
Sheffield

--
Zarch

Hi Mick,

Welcome to gardening!

Before we can answer your question, it would be helpful to know what your
soil is like? ...and is your border in sun or shade? (Generally, that is;
obviously it's shadier under the Birch.

It must be said from the start that Birches resent underplanting.
Nevertheless, I've planted fairly close to mine. Give the newsgroup an idea
of your conditions and we'll have a go.

Spider in SE London
Try underplanting with Cyclemen, lots of them.