Old 09-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Phil L wrote:

God forbid anyone should take any notice of them!....I noticed a
capital P on a label stuck in some lobelia seedlings in the
supermarket the other day...the P is for protection! - it's just
another 'jobs for the boys' ruling

Well...but I hope you don't want plant breeding and selection to stop
altogether because it doesn't pay. That "job for the boys" is
somebody's by no means risk-free living, and is very likely the
result of years of experience and training.

It requires neither to stick such a notice onto a variety that has
been grown since time immemorial and, unfortunately, there is no
law against such deception. I have seen such notices on varieties
that I know were not covered by a valid Plant Breeders' Right.

That is a consequence of a one-sided law.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.