Old 10-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Arborsmith

Boots wrote:
I have to use a tree to mount a yard light. I there a safe
way to mount to a tree that will not harm the tree?

Lag bolts can be used after drilling a hole a little smaller than the
bolt. When drilling the holes don't let the bit stop at all or it will
get stuck due to water pressure. Expect the trees cambium to begin to
swallow the mount and then the lamp, eventually if left long enough the
whole lamp will be swallowed by the tree.
Trees have to deal with having dead wood inside them all the time the
metal of the bolts is no problem.
Attach the lamp in anyway but don't wrap anything around the tree.

Good luck,
Richard
http://www.arborsmith.com