Old 10-05-2005, 08:25 AM
presley

It all depends on the type of grass. A push mower goes very easily through
blue grass, fescue, bent grass and other northern soft blade grasses.
However, as someone who has a large pine tree on his lot, I find it annoying
to have to stop every other pass to pull a bit of pine-cone out of the
blades before I can move on. However, I LOVE the quietness of a push mower.
It's such a gently, true summer sound - unlike the jet-engine-taking-off
quality of some of the bigger gas mowers. It takes me 10 minutes to do my
postage-stamp size front yard, even pulling bits of pine-cones out of the
blades, with no extra time to start it up, to deal with spark -plugs, or to
make sure there are no drips before I store it in the garage, etc.
"escape" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 May 2005 12:40:57 +0000 (UTC), enigma
opined:

exercise is good for you. when i had a mere 2 acres of lawn i
used a pushmower (it was a very gentle slope). this house has
3 acres of lawn, with some steep hills, so we use the JD 52"
mower on most of it & the push mower for detailing.
one thing i'd do before getting a push mower is find someone
who knows how to sharpen one or someone to teach you how to.
they aren't much fun to use when dull, & they are a bit
trickier to sharpen than power mower blades.
lee my push mower is 22" BTW)

Most people in excellent health would get heat stroke mowing three acres
of lawn
with a push by hand mower. Also, I doubt acreage has anything near as
lush a
turf grass as a common sized lawn. I could never get a push mower to go
through my St. Augustine. It's a very thick, wide bladed turf and when
fully
hydrated would kill me dead if I tried to mow it all with a push mower. I
would
say I have about a thousand square feet of turf on my half acre lot.

Of course this is my opinion.