Old 10-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Doug Kanter

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote:
"JonHirschman" wrote in message
newssyfe.4261$N_5.1671@trndny09...
I live in Northern NJ and am thinking about contracting with a lawn
service to take care of the fertilizer and other weed treatments?

I have about 1/3 acre of grass. Will the results be any better then
what I could accomplish myself?

Any recommondations.

Depends on your goal. If the point is to poison children and birds,
you can do that more cheaply yourself. If the goal is to have a better
lawn, you can do that for next to nothing, with nothing but grass seed
and intelligent mowing. Interested?

Nice advice, Doug. What do you do for a living?

Interesting question. Why do you ask?

Well you just broad painted an entire green industry (one that I'm in)
with one paint stroke.

Poison your children and birds?

Makes me wonder what -wonderful- thing you do all day. It obviously
doesn't involve growing grass.

For the moment, set aside the organic lawn care products I see advertised by
some companies and consider ONLY the Chem-Lawn variety. And, focus NOT on
fertilizers, but on bug and weed killers. With me so far? Now: Change my
mind about those things by pointing to ***independent and properly conducted
research*** which proves that those things are safe, both for contact (by
people & animals), ingestion (by animals), and runoff into groundwater.