Old 10-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Ray

Many catts exhibit a strong link between flowering and photoperiodicity.
I'm not sure I'd say they are responding to a short day "rest" as much as
responding to the drastic change in day length.

Covering the catts with black cloth for a few weeks is a long-established
technique for forcing catts. It was used extensively back when catts were
the primary corsage flower.

"Joe me" shoelessjo@ bree.net wrote in message
What apparently makes the difference is the length of the day.My
orchids get supplemental lighting that is controlled by a photocell
that turns on the lights when the sun comes up and off when the sun
goes down. Photo periodicity seem to be very important for good growth
and flowering. Shorter winter day give the rest that is often talked
about. With your natural light you are doing just fine.
Richard

On 8 May 2005 21:35:06 -0700, wrote:

What exactly constitutes a "dry winter rest"? Mine lives on a south
window & gets full sun in the winter, so I feel like it needs to be
watered more because it gets hot & dry there, & actually I don't vary
the watering too much during the year, just based on whether the plant
is dry & if it's growing... It has been making shoots more or less
continuously... Should I be doing something different?

Alison