Old 10-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Mike Lyle

John Edgar wrote:
My OED has the following,

"psychopath n.
1a person suffering from chronic mental disorder esp. with abnormal

or
violent social behaviour.
2a mentally or emotionally unstable person."

IIRC you omitted the 'esp.' (presumably 'especially')from 1a and
didn't

mention 2a at all.

Well my C.O.D doesn't. I would refer you to the C.O.D., 1999

edition,
p1154.
John

If there's a dictionary war on, let's be clear about what weapons we
use. The above definitions come from the COD (_Concise Oxford
Dictionary_), not from the OED (_Oxford English Dictionary_).

The COD is a small desk dictionary. The OED is an attempt to record
almost every way almost every word has ever been used in English,
with examples, in some twenty big volumes; the latest edition is
bigger, and available only electronically.

I'm not being fussy: the difference is like that between a spoon and
a shovel.

--
Mike.