Old 10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
icius

Default Help with new roses for newbie

Hello all,

Until this weekend I had never planted a rose before and am hoping I
did things right. I bought a bush for my wife for Mother's Day. I
planted a potted plant marked "Hybrid Tea Rose - Opening Night -
Jacolber PP# 11265". I followed the instructions that came with it and
did some research on the side as well. Here is what I did:

1. Dug a circular hole approx 2 feet in diameter and 1 1/2 feed deep.

2. Build up the bottom of the hole with soil so that the bud union
would be above ground after planting.

3. Filled in the hole with Miracle-Gro Rose Mix soil.

4. Added about 2 gallons of water.

5. Topped off the hole with the Miracle-Gro and layer of Peat Moss.

6. Watered again briefly.

I missed watering last night and planned on watering this evening again
and every day for a week as per the instructions.

Let's just say at this point she is not looking happy. The original
bush had 6 blooms on it already ranging from just opening to fully
open. The newest bloom seems to have died immediately. Now the other
blooms are wilting heavily. The leaves seem ok at the moment. I
really want to keep this bush healthy as it now has sentimental value.

Other than watering heavily every night for the rest of the week, is
there something else I should be doing or something I missed?

I took some pictures of it. The first picture is a front view and shows
the whole plant. The second picture is close to the ground showing the
cane structure. The third is a top view showing the planting bed.

Any help or advice would be great. Maybe I am worrying too much. What
should I do about the spent and dead blooms? Should I prune this soon
after a new planting?

http://home.comcast.net/~klaumphoto/roses/roses1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~klaumphoto/roses/roses2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~klaumphoto/roses/roses3.jpg