Old 10-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Andy Hill

(DD DDD) wrote:
My 300 gallon preform has no waterfall or fountain. Can I just use a air
pump? Is there a small outdoor model? Or should I just get a indoor one
and keep it out of the weather? I have a bio/mech filter with a 1800 gph
pump that keeps everything clean. But the good bacteria it says need
oxygen as do the fish. So far the fish seem ok. Thank you

Air pumps are basically for looks -- the bubbles help roil the water surface,
which helps with gas exchange, but the bubbles themselves don't add much oxygen.
Directing the discharge of your pump (1800gph in a 300g pond? Wow!) to roil the
surface will give you plenty of oxygen in the water.