Old 10-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
snip

there's nothing new about Building Regs. I've looked at the site,

and
I can certainly replace a pane of glass myself without being a

member
of anything. What's involved here is _replacement installation_,

not
repair. Replacement windows and doors have to meet new

requirements,
that's all: and that's a very good thing. A sample from the site:

Where a window or windows is/are completely replaced (as opposed

repaired) in existing dwellings, they must comply with Approved
Documents Parts L1 and N (safety in relation to impact).

And you don't have to be a qualified electrician to do electrical
work. You have to meet the regs, that's all. It's been true all my
life, give or take a detail or two.

Whats the site? I've just replaced a number of internal doors,

would
be interesting to see what regs apply to a door! I wonder if a

door
purchased from a DIY store would anyway meet the regs? And how

would
someone buying my house in say 5 years time know if they had been
replaced/met the regs?

The site is:
http://www.fensa.co.uk/faq.html#1

I can't imagine what relevance it might have to _interior_ doors.
Well, I suppose there must be something to stop idiots using ordinary
glass at child height in interior doors, but you wouldn't have done
that.

I don't know when you last sold a house, but these days purchasers'
surveyors are extremely picky and own-arse-covering (I bear the
psychological scars a year later!) It helps a lot if you've got
evidence of Building Regs approval, too; a certificate from a FENSA
member is apparently equivalent.

--
Mike.